Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Note to the Viewer

Dear Viewers,

Below you will find excerpts (photos, videos, and writings), highlighting some of the work I have participated in over the past 3 years. I would like to apologize for the quality of these excerpts. Each artist who has documented my work is not to blame for this... in any way, what so ever. The fact of the matter is, I am not as computer savvy as I would like to be. And to be completely honest, their quality matters very little to me. I believe you will be able to get the gist of each work, and that is all I am able to ask for, honestly, when presenting documentation of 'my performance art'. I chose these works, particularly, because of the obvious presence of 'audience' and 'performer' connectivity and collaboration. While it is not always an obvious element in my work, it is one of my greatest concerns in relation to 'performance'.

Some of my speculations about 'my work':

'My work' is process based or process oriented. It is self indulgent and extroverted, and it hovers a line that exists between simplicity and complexity. It is about trivializing intentions and pursuing the ephemeral as a perpetual exchange amongst the artist, the audience, and their objectives. It is sincere as well as insignificant and it all culminates as a performance that challenges my senses, endurance and perseverance.

I am interested in building community ties and breaking down cultural boundaries through duration and immersion. I work with the visceral, dissident and primal qualities of object, sound, and space - exploring instinctive and subversive methods of responding to the world; seeking out actions that will open a state of discovery - in the midst of realizing a work. Awareness, response and responsibility are essential; my reflexes must be tuned and willing to accept, reject or manipulate any and/or all findings. The intentions behind each piece are simple ideas that I have used to conjure and influence actions, moments and situations. The outcome of each instance is just what it is... Really folks, I am not trying to be philosophical or bleak or... even, trying to fill in the blanks. What I bring to the performance is my own and what the audience brings is their's. These are very personal, private and often subconscious elements that are likely collide, provoke and/or collaborate. BUT, let's be honest with each other. Your speculations are what they are and my performances are my own and these are the few that I have chosen to share with you today.


Thank you for the continuing support and conversation.

Best wishes to you all.

Sincerely

Richard Spartos

Born: Lynn, Massachusetts USA 1978

No comments: